Welcome to the Earl Grey podcast, a new series of mixes devoted to the various forms and styles of dub techno, ambient and experimental music.
Inaugurating the Earl Grey podcast is Architectural, the dub techno inspired alias of Juan Rico, better known as Spanish producer Reeko. The Architectural project was launched in 2010 on its label of the same name, releasing a total of four EPs by the end of 2011 before providing the digital label Paradigma Musik with the Dreams EP, featured in this mix for TEA.
Juan Rico's Architectural guise soon caught the attention of fellow Spaniard Sverca which later resulted in the release of Peacetime, a two track EP, of which the A-side, "Looking Ahead", was licensed for Norman Nodge's Berghain 06 mix.
Later this month Oscar Mulero's Pole Group label, whom Reeko is a regular contributor, will release the debut LP from Architectural entitled The Blue Album. Architectural's take on dub techno is designed for the dancefloor more than the genre's stereotypically perceived construct of shady textures and sparse low-end beats. This is emphasised throughout Architectural's forthcoming LP with bigger, dub-infused tracks like "Melted" and "Dualities", while "Sex On Kleper - 22B" and "The Universal Dream" provide some melodic and ambient excursions through sound. Rico doesn't fall too far down the ambient rabbit hole so to speak, by also providing some club geared and functional productions such as "Force Carriers" and "Startling Idea".
The Blue Album will be Reeko's third full length following 2011's Finding The New Matter, released through his own Mental Disorder imprint, while back in 2004 Reeko provided Submitted To Involuntary Treatment for Surface Records sub-label, Inceptive. The sub-label was set up by Surface co-founders, Richard Polson and Nick Dunton, as a place to groom and showcase up-and-coming talent, with the two proving to be tastemakers by including Reeko twice in its three year existence after the label was launched by the then-fledging techno producer Ø [Phase].
Juan Rico turns in a dub-sided podcast for TEA, laced with new, older and unreleased Architectural material that's weaved between a flurry of Ostgut Ton productions and other music from Quantec, Plastikman (via Carl Craig) and a houseir selection from the hatched industrial and noise act Ryo Murakami.
Pic Credit: Madz Rehorek
01. Architectural - Unknown [Unknown]
02. Sawlin - Excipidial [Ann Aimee]
03. Quantec - Nabu [Statik Entertainment]
04. Architectural - Unknown [Unknown]
05. Marcel Dettmman - Silex [Ostgut Ton]
06. Architectural - Unreleased [Unreleased]
07. Architectural - 3.2 [Architectural]
08. Tobias - Freeze [Ostgut Ton]
09. Architectural - Dreams [Paradigma Musik ]
10. K-series - Reflections (Kevin Gorman Remix) [Bastardo Electrico Recordings]
11. Architectural - Unknown [Unknown]
12. Matthew Styles - Liquid Sky [Ostgut Ton]
13. Peter Van Hoesen - Axis Mundi [Ostgut Ton]
14. Architectural - Peacetime (2008 version) [Unreleased]
15. Architectural - Unreleased [Unreleased]
16. Ryo Murakami - Dublin [op.disc]
17. Ryan Elliott - Stillsteppin [Ostgut Ton]
18. Plastikman - Mind of rewind (Carl Craig remix) [M_nus]
19. Architectural - 4.2 [Architectural]
Earl Grey Podcast: Architecural Duration: 1:04:41